Installing ORACLE 6.0A? for DOS on a 486

From: William Grant <grant_at_itd.itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 06:13:51 GMT

I can't seem to get through to the machine with the FAQ, so here goes:

I'm trying to install ORACLE for DOS 6.0A [6.0.3.??] on a 486. I have several questions that I can't seem to find in the manuals that still exist and I no longer have support on this package.

  1. What is the correct machine type for a no-name clone 486DX ?
  2. Is there a configuration that will allow me to run windows on the same machine without rebooting (8 MB RAM)?
  3. Is there a configuration that will allow me to run windows after starting the database? (I have to develop an embedded SQL application in C using a Windows based C compiler. I'd rather not reboot or restart the database after each compile.)
  4. Is there a configuration that will allow me to run ORACLE in a DOS window in Windows?

Assumptions:
Dos 6.2
Windows 3.1
Visual C compiler
Small database (I hope)
no forms, just embedded SQL
8MB Ram

If I can't get this to work, it's going to be academic INGRES on a unix box over a slow modem.

Hopes and wishes, Daffodils and kings...

Leprechaun Liam Grant_at_itd.nrl.navy.mil Code 5541, NRL, Wash. DC 20375-5337, (202)767-0552 W (301)937-2567 H Received on Thu Mar 31 1994 - 08:13:51 CEST

Original text of this message