Re: Oracle 7 vs. Oracle 6

From: R Scott Hunter <rshunter_at_delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 11:07:00 -0500

Brian A. Hirt <bhirt_at_hawk.depaul.edu> writes:

>In Oracle 7, I can issue the command:
> DROP USER BLAH CASCADE;
>To delete a user and all his views, tables etc...
>
>Under Oracle 6 however, I don't see any sort of command to do this,
>is there some similiar command under version 6?

It's not a silly question. Unfortunately, prior to 7, there is no simple built-in way to do this. You must delete all of the objects belonging to the user. Also, there is no way to really "delete" or drop the user itself; it will hang around in Oracle limbo forever (in 7, you really can drop them).

Elsewhere recently in this newsgroups I've seen scrips written by a few people to make the job of dropping pre-7 users a lot less painful.

R. (Scott) Hunter shunter_at_cfotax.attmail.com AT&T Tax Systems, Morristown, NJ Received on Wed Mar 30 1994 - 18:07:00 CEST

Original text of this message