Re: organizing/tuning a oracle database

From: James Forgy <forgy_at_ll.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 94 16:06:37 -0500

In article <CnD8np.4zH_at_argus.mh.nl> ghb_at_mh.nl (Hassan Ghrib) writes:
>From: ghb_at_mh.nl (Hassan Ghrib)
>Subject: organizing/tuning a oracle database
>Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 08:23:48 GMT

>Hi all,

>Can anybody can help me find a set of considerations to organize
>c.q. tune a Oracle database.

>For example the advantages/disadvantages:

> - Using the raw disk facility.

Advantage - Faster, Disadvantage, harder to back up, more dangerous
> - Large c.q. Small SGA,

Advantage - More cacheing of data in memory, disadvantages, gobbles memory from other process's, including oracle, may cause paging in the OS

 > - Create many Logfiles,

Advantage - spread IO accross disk, Disadvantage - Use Log buffer size to cache redo logs in memory