Re: Sids..sqlplus..sqlforms..

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 24 Mar 94 07:11:15 EST

In article <2mq2gjINNej8_at_no-names.nerdc.ufl.edu>, badri_at_elm.circa.ufl.edu (Badrish Davanagere) writes:

> Hello,
> I have a question, could be dumb for many of you :-)
> We have a number of oracle instances running on a Unix machine.
> Now, if I want to run sqlplus against any of these sids all
> I have to do is set the ORACLE_SID variable to the appropriate
> one and type in "sqlplus userid/passwd". Right? I think it should be
> the same for forms.
> What I have been told is that sqlforms has to loaded
> to a database and only then can one run sqlorms on it. Is that
> right?
>
> Later...
>
> --Prakash--

The other key environment variable is ORACLE_HOME, which identifies where the oracle code is installed. I would recommend against manually setting those two variables, particularly because ORACLE_HOME will change as you move from one version of ORACLE to another. ORACLE provide a couple of scripts that allows you to specify the SID, then looks up ORACLE_HOME in the oratab file. On Solaris 2.3, those files are /opt/bin/oraenv (for sh and ksh) and /opt/bin/coraenv (for csh).

We go one step further and create an 'inst' command that accepts a parameter and calls the oracle scripts. This avoids annoying interactive prompts and allows us to use the command in scripts run by cron. For example:

csh:

	alias inst 'setenv ORACLE_SID \!*;setenv ORAENV_ASK no;' \
		'source /opt/bin/coraenv;unsetenv ORAENV_ASK'

ksh:
	function inst {
	ORACLE_SID=$1 export ORACLE_SID
	ORAENV_ASK=NO export ORAENV_ASK
	. /opt/bin/oraenv
	ORAENV_ASK=    export ORAENV_ASK
	}
	typeset -xf inst

sh:
	Haven't had the need to set this up, so I don't know how to do it.

So, to point to the 'dev' instance, you would issue the command

        inst dev

and it would set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME.

SQL*FORMS: SQL*FORMS does have some database tables that are used to save forms definitions to the database. If you have your form definitions in .inp and .frm files, I am not sure if those database tables are necessary. We have them installed, so I don't know what happens when you try to run without them.

Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285