Oracle Online Backups. Impact of many tablespaces being offline

From: Barry A. Suskind <suskind_at_melpar.esys.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 16:03:05 GMT

In looking a most implimentations of the Oracle Backups with the database up, I see that each tablespace is placed into backup mode in turn, backed up, then placed online again.

What is the impact in doing this to many tablespaces at once? If the system is in a light load or mostly query load would it make any difference? I am looking at ways to more efficiently run backups.

Barry A. Suskind - Information Services    ||"After all, if it weren't for
E-Systems / Melpar Division                ||change, your job would largely
7700 Arlington Blvd, Falls Church, VA 22046||consist of making sure the
Internet: bsuskind_at_melpar.esys.com         ||corporate abacus rods were
Ma Bell: 703-560-5000                      ||adequately greased" John Cleese