Re: Oracle Online Backups. Impact of many tablespaces being offline

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 17 Mar 94 17:35:33 EST

In article <CMtGL5.57y_at_melpar.esys.com>, suskind_at_melpar.esys.com (Barry A. Suskind) writes:
> In looking a most implimentations of the Oracle Backups with the database
> up, I see that each tablespace is placed into backup mode in turn, backed
> up, then placed online again.
>
> What is the impact in doing this to many tablespaces at once? If the
> system is in a light load or mostly query load would it make any difference?
> I am looking at ways to more efficiently run backups.

We typically set all tablespaces into backup mode, then backup the operating system disks by volume. We do this because it seems to be easier to administer. Actually, we are really bad because we do this for all of our databases before we start the backups.

The method that you describe is what Oracle recommends. That is because when BACKUP is on, all data is written to the redo-logs and archive logs, not to the data files. (I think). So, if you are doing a lot during the backups, it could be bad. Once we get really active, we will probably switch methods.

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285