SQL to Generate Random Numbers?

From: David Laderoute <am907_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 17:35:21 GMT

As part of a database-building project which I'm managing, I want to enforce quality control standards for data-entry by selecting a statistically-representative sample of records, which will be evaluated against original, hardcopy documentation. I've got a handle on things like sample size and stratification, but, of course, in order to be a representative sample, it must also consist of records selected randomly. Is there any way to do this in SQL? (specifically, we're using SQL*PLUS in ORACLE 6.0) Is there, for example, a "random" number generator available in SQL, which will allow the extraction of random records from the database? Any help would be much appreciated--thanks.

--
"On the Internet, everyone is guaranteed 15 minutes of flame."
	-what Andy Warhol MIGHT have said- if he wasn't dead, that is