Re: SQL to Generate Random Numbers?

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 02:09:41 GMT

In a previous article, am907_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David Laderoute) says:

>... Is there, for example, a "random" number generator available
>in SQL, which will allow the extraction of random records from the
>database? Any help would be much appreciated--thanks.

   Although not possible in straight SQL, it should be possible to write a random number function in PL/SQL. If anyone has written such a thing I would be VERY interested in getting it.

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --