Export problem

From: Roger Hale <hale_at_gdls.com>
Date: 10 Mar 1994 08:44:20 -0500

Hi folks,

I am having an export problem, and while this is probably a longshot, maybe someone out there has encountered the same problem. I inherited an NCR Tower 850, running Oracle 6.0.26.9.1 and NCR Unix release 2010000, version .sem. I want to port the database application on this system to a Sequent box which will soon be running Oracle7. When I try to do a full database export, I get the following error message:

   EXP-00014: error on row xyz of table abc
   EXP-00008: ORACLE error 2715 encountered
   ORA-02715: osnpgetbrkmsg: message from host had incorrect message type
   EXP-00008: ORACLE error 3114 encountered
   ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
   EXP-00000: Export terminated with error

This error does not occur immediately. Sometimes the export runs for an hour, sometimes two hours, before it occurs. It does not occur on the same row, or even the same table. It also occurs when I attempt to do a user (system) export. Individual table exports seem to work, even on a table that was being accessed in a full export when the full export failed. I am exporting directly to tape, as I do not have enough free disk space.

I have tryed various buffer sizes. I have not experimented with the recordlength parameter. I am specifying an unlimited volume size.

The answer I get from Oracle support is that I have to upgrade to version 6.0.36 or higher to fix this problem. However, I don't want to have to upgrade a system that is going away. Also, the export for this system used to work! The error started ocurring about two months ago.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Roger Hale
hale_at_gdls.com Received on Thu Mar 10 1994 - 14:44:20 CET

Original text of this message