Re: How Large is a BIG Relational DB

From: Alan B. Evans <aevans_at_kaiwan.com>
Date: 6 Mar 1994 17:45:59 -0800

Dennis McCormick (technos_at_oasys.dt.navy.mil) wrote:
: Greetings! Some assert that really big relational databases
: using client-server architecture, big UNIX boxes, and
: commercial database engines are IMPOSSIBLE. (I'm thinking
: about complex relational designs with perhaps 100 tables,
: many index fields, complex joins, etc.)

: What is possible? 10M records? 100M records?
: Total data size 10GB? 100GB?

: I realize that the magic is in the details. Can anyone cite
: known limitations or examples of successful efforts along these
: lines? Pointers to people/projects/literature appreciated.
: In short, where are the limits? Who has experience?

: Email replies please. Thanks for any comments!

: Dennis
: technos_at_oasys.dt.navy.mil

Well, I think the current system I am helping to develop is rather large (1.8 Terabytes) and uses a client-server type architecture. We have run into many limitations that are design (of the RDBMS) related. For example, a portion of our system runs on a UNIX machine (SVR4) using Oracle 7. Oracle 7 has a design limitation in that 1 instance of Oracle can only handle 256 GB of data.

Alan

--
You can reach me at _at_ :
Internet : aevans_at_kaiwan.com