Re: oracle and linux

From: Joe Portman <baron_at_hebron.connected.com>
Date: 6 Mar 1994 21:33:34 -0800

In article <1994Mar7.022649.10596_at_rpp386|, John F. Haugh II <jfh_at_rpp386.cactus.org| wrote:
|In article <1994Mar5.092515.22302_at_synseer.Syntex.COM> hib@apple.online.com writes:
|>Does anybody else desire to have Oracle run on the linux operating system?
|>I guess it will take $2,000,000 in possible sales to convince Oracle to port
|>it.
|
|Last I heard Informix required $150K in prepaid licenses in order to
|port to a platform. This is from fuzzy memory, but I can't imagine
|Oracle being more than 10 times higher.
|
|Your better bet is to wait until Linux is able to run a version of
|Oracle from another vendors platform. Then it won't cost a dime.

And the wait won't be very long. If you join the IBCS2 channel, you can run Oracle Version 6 NOW. And a whole host of other apps from SCO. I just wish I had a copy of Oracle 7 to try out, should be a snap. With the new ibcs networking code, you could probably even run a server.

--
Joe Portman (Westin Hotels & Resorts)