Re: Benchmarks

From: Tim Maggio <tim_at_sun1.claremont.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 19:01:31 GMT

% >
% > I have to evaluate a new oracle server and should decide
% > between SUN SparcCenter 1000 and HP 9000 T500. Does has
% > anyone benchmarks for those machines or other suggestions.
% > Please mail it to me.
% >
% We have found that it is best to write your own benchmarks.
% with oracle it really depends on what you are doing with the
% applications. what you hear from the vendors, is never an apples
% to apples comparison.

We have attempted to do the same for ourselves. Oracle on either SC1000 or HP T500. We have had abysmal response from Sun for the SC1000, and SC2000 models. HP is much more responsive. Additionally, there is Convex which repackages HP parts into their own brand of computer. There is also a mini Cray. All of these machines are in the same pricerange  ($100 - 300K). Contact me via email if you want any more info.

--
Tim Maggio
tim_at_claremont.com