Problems using Purify on OCI

From: Senerat Rajakaruna <senerat_at_g2syd.genasys.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 03:23:04 GMT

Has anybody out there used Purify on OCI based applications ?. If you managed it without any problems then you have definitely solved the problem I have because it has everything to do with what Purify does at database connection time.

I have a simple test program which simply connects and disconnects from Oracle. My tester uses the bare minimum of the OCI set required to execute this task. i.e. orlon and ologof. The tester, of course, works fine without the added burden of Purify but I need to use Purify so I can clean my code as well as detecting and reporting any OCI leaks.

When I build my tester with Purify and run, it simply hangs immediately after executing $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle. Of course it comes back after 10 minutes with the message:

        Rtslave not responding after 10 minutes

What seem to cause the problem ?. My initial guess is that, since Oracle uses a slave to connect to the database and that this slave dies after the connection, the death of child aspect seem to affect the Purify behaviour. I do not have any such problems when the same tester is run on another RDBMS.

Has any one encountered this problem already ?. Any useful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My tester was run on an HP9000 - 9000/887 (HP-UX 9.0) and the OCI code was written in C language. It was run on an Oracle version 7.0.15.4.0.

  • Senerat
Senerat Rajakaruna  |  Genasys II Pty Ltd