Re: Asynchronous I/O and Oracle

From: Paul Turner <pturner_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:29:28 GMT

In article <2ko2bp$54n_at_clt.fx.net>, gcape_at_clt.fx.net (George Capehart) writes:
|> Praveen Rao (rao_at_ee.uwm.edu) wrote:
|> : I am looking for some information on advantages/disadvantages and installation
|> : instructions for setting up asynchronous i/o on a hpux machine. We are
|> : running v7.0.15 and hpux9.0 on a 9000/I50

|> : Any thoughts/information is appreciated.
|> considered: Asynchronous I/O is done on filesystem buffers by kernel
|> routines . . . several layers of them, the last of which is a write to a
|> disk address. Oracle is capable of doing raw I/O, which bypasses all of
|> the kernel filesystem handling code (and buffers).
Just as an aside on the async-io implementation on HP this is the case but it is not generic to all Oracle async-io implementations. I can tell you for a start that on ICL DRS6000 and NCR 3000 series machines Oracle can use async-io to raw partitions.

Paul.

Disclaimer:- The usual.

Paul Turner, ICL Development,

Oracle Europe.                                  Tel:+353+1+2834700
pturner_at_ie.oracle.com                           Fax:+353+1+2834732