What do I need to get SQL*NET to run on PC running Windows

From: Gavin Stark <gavin_at_rs6.fm.arizona.edu>
Date: 28 Feb 94 06:39:46 GMT

I am trying to get the VC++ 1.5 drivers to work with Oracle for the PC. The ODBC driver documentation seem to expect the Oracle DBMS to be on a remote server and the connection to Oracle be made though SQL*NET.

My question is: Is it possible to get a copy of Oracle on a PC to communicate with A VC app through ODBC when the DBMS and the VC app are on the same machine?

It seems that in order to run SQL*NET, Oracle for the PC needs to be running in the background. However, when Oracle runs, it immediately grabs all the sytem resources, making it impossible to run Windows. Is there a way around this catch-22??

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated! Received on Mon Feb 28 1994 - 07:39:46 CET

Original text of this message