How in the world do you delete a data file?

From: Jeff Kopmanis <jeffk_at_garnet.msen.com>
Date: 22 Feb 1994 03:15:54 GMT

We've recently moved most of our Oracle activities off of our Sparc 10 to our new Sparc 1000 machine located remotely. Since we wouldn't be needing the local Oracle capability, I thought I'd get rid of the extra gig of tablespace and rollback space I'd previously allocated. HAH! That's stupid thing to try.

Why is it that there isn't a way to elegantly get rid of unneeded/unwanted datafiles? Isn't zapping the tablespace a little severe? Who was the moron who thought up a great way to ADD space, but forgot the commands to get rid of it?! That's like designing a car that only goes forward....what happens when you park it in a driveway?

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Please try.
-Jeff. (grumble, grumble, grumble...)

--

Jeff Kopmanis (Ann Arbor, Michigan) | email: jeffk_at_msen.com Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM) | phone: (313) 393-4784 (work) "So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka Received on Tue Feb 22 1994 - 04:15:54 CET

Original text of this message