Re: How in the world do you delete a data file?

From: Sanjay Sundaram <sanjay_at_adjs09.abu-dhabi.geoquest.slb.com>
Date: 28 Feb 1994 07:13:12 GMT

In article h9o_at_nigel.msen.com, jeffk_at_garnet.msen.com (Jeff Kopmanis) writes:

> We've recently moved most of our Oracle activities off of our Sparc 10 to
> our new Sparc 1000 machine located remotely. Since we wouldn't be needing
> the local Oracle capability, I thought I'd get rid of the extra gig of
> tablespace and rollback space I'd previously allocated. HAH! That's
> stupid thing to try.
>
> Why is it that there isn't a way to elegantly get rid of unneeded/unwanted
> datafiles? Isn't zapping the tablespace a little severe? Who was the moron
> who thought up a great way to ADD space, but forgot the commands to get rid
> of it?! That's like designing a car that only goes forward....what happens
> when you park it in a driveway?
>
> I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Please try.
> -Jeff. (grumble, grumble, grumble...)
>
> --
> Jeff Kopmanis (Ann Arbor, Michigan) | email: jeffk_at_msen.com
> Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM) | phone: (313) 393-4784 (work)
> "So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka

Yes, call him a moron, "So shines a good deed in a weary world." :-), but there is no way of making a tablespace smaller. Yes, dropping a tablespace is not elegant, but seems that things that 'may' be temporary requirements should be added/created as a sepearate tablespace, and dropped later.

Doesn't help your current problem though.

Sanjay Received on Mon Feb 28 1994 - 08:13:12 CET

Original text of this message