Re: Directory structures standards?

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 18 Feb 94 19:01:51 EST

In article <2k2nckINNgem_at_uwm.edu>, rao_at_ee.uwm.edu (Praveen Rao) writes:
> I was wondering if there are any standards for file naming conventions
> and directory structures on Unix for an Oracle system.
> Any pointers are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Praveen

The installation guide for ORACLE7 under Solaris describes a directory structure based on the environment variable $ORACLE_BASE. We use that structure and it works out very nicely. It allows for multiple versions of ORACLE to be installed, and totally separates database files from the ORACLE executables.

I'd suggest that you get a copy of the installation guide and look it over.

I'm not sure if it covers tablespace naming standards, although I think that orainst defaults file names to be the name of the tablespace followed by '.dbf'. We change that to be 'tsname_xx.dbs', where tsname is the name of the tablespace, and xx is the number of the file within that tablespace. We use .dbs instead of .dbf because it is consistent with our VMS installations.

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285