Re: SQR with oracle

From: John Dennis <jdennis_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 21:38:49 GMT

Padma Konakanchi (pkona_at_ctp.com) wrote:
: Hi,
: Is anyone out there using SQR with oracle? If so, could you please email me some
: information (advantages, disadvantages and experiences etc) about it? I would
: like to know things like
: - adhoc reporting capability,
: - programmer or end user tool
: - ease of use
: - ability to save the output without having to save the report
: - free style formatting

: Any information would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks
: Padma. (pkona_at_ctp.com)
: --
: Padma Konakanchi (pkona_at_ctp.com)
: Cambridge Technology Partners Inc.,
: (617) 374 - 8345

SQR was originally a "for Oracle" product and was bought out by Sybase. The principles are the same for Oracle as they are for Sybase. Sqr has ESQR (Easy SQR) which allows users to build "ad-hoc" queries including nested queries. However, as with any query building tool, it has limitations compared to just typing in the query yourself. You can BTW, go into free format and type in you query directly.

The report format follows the same lines. ESQR can produce simple format styles. More complicated report layouts may require one to go into a text file and use SQR "report language".

I was using SQR to produce Government reports (nasty!) and was very impressed.

John Dennis Received on Wed Feb 09 1994 - 22:38:49 CET

Original text of this message