Re: orasrv - Remote accessing version 6 & 7 databases on the same server.

From: Sanjeev Agrawal <sanju_at_grok119.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 15:33:38 GMT

In article <1994Feb8.073943.1820_at_rzu-news.unizh.ch> mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch () writes:
> [...]
>: >>
>: >>Scenario:
>: >>
>: >>H/W platform NCR system 3000 , UNIX SVR 4
>: >>Oracle Db 7.0.12.1.1
>: >>
>: >>I am on a server which already has running oracle6 databases.
>: >>Server process for oracle6 is orasrv using port 1525/tcp.
>: >>
>: >>Now ver 7 db works fine but how do I make it accessible remotely.
>: >>
>: >>My problem: As I understand I need to have separate "orasrv" process
>: >>for ver 6 and 7 databases. Is that correct?
>: >
>: >Not really. Oracle7 is shipping with a new version of SQL*Net (2).
>: >You need separate listeners for each of SQL*Net V1 and SQL*Net V2.
>: >However Oracle7 can work with either or both versions (although you
>: >need V2 if you want to use the multi-threaded server). Your Oracle7
>: >distribution should include a copy of orasrv. You may use that one
>: >version of orasrv with both your 6 & 7 databases, plus have the
>: >SQL*Net V2 listener also accepting connections for the 7 database.
>: >Users choose which version to use by way of their SQL*Net connect
>: >string.
>: >
>: >>Any pointers will be appreciated.
>: >
>: > I suggest you use The SQL*Net V1 "orasrv" shipped with 7 for both
>: >your 6 & 7 bases to start, and then you can bring up Net V2 at your
>: >leisure. Actually, I don't think SQL*Net V2 was even production in 7.0.12:
>: >another good reason to start with 1 and move your way up to 2 later.
>: >
>: I thought of same too. But it does not work. it gives the error 3113 i.e.
>: end of file on communication channel.
>
>If this is true then either V7 or V6 is not "working fine" (or your
>orasrv process is not running in the right manner (Did you set up the
>services file etc?). Can you connect to the V6 db via the pipe, fast
>and twotask driver from the server? from the client (what kind of?)?
>Can you connect to the V7 db via pipe driver on the server? Can you
>telnet, ping, ftp from the client to the server? Have you set both
>the ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME on the client correctly?
>I have here a test system running on Sparc SS1+ a V7 and a V6.
>I start up the orasrv (binaries from V7) port 1525/TCP and can
>connect from a mac via TCP/IP either to the V7 db or to the V6 db
>dependent on the ORACLE_SID I use in the connect string in SQL*Net (V1).
>I don't start a SQL*Net V2 listener on the server as only on the
>server is V2 (beta) so I can't use it. I hav set my local connect
>string on the mac to T:130.60.220.10:test so oracle connects by
>default to the server (T=TCIP/IP, 130.60.220.10=TCIP/IP address of the
>server machine, test=ORACLE_SID).
>(If it matters, my V6 db is 6.0.32.x and V7 is 7.0.12.2 so that shouldn't

Yes /etc/services file is set and I can connect to the V6 & V7 db via the pipe and fast drivers from the server and two-task TCP/IP driver from the client with separate orasrv process for V6 & V7 listening to different ports. For testing my client is a UNIX workstation(NCR 3300) having Unix SVR 4. I can do ping,telnet, ftp from client to server & vice-versa, and ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME on the server and the client are set correctly.

So I feel connection from client to server is fine as they work fine if used separately but I get problem when i try to use the same orasrv process for both V6 & V7.

Oracle Customer Support says that seems to be bug in orasrv but that does not help me :-(

Thanks anyway,
sanjeev

--
|  Sanjeev Kumar Agrawal              sanju_at_grok119.columbiaSC.NCR.COM    |