Re: orasrv - Remote accessing version 6 & 7 databases on the same server.

From: <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 07:39:43 GMT

Sanjeev.Agrawal (sanju_at_churchill.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM) wrote:
: In article <CKqDIx.Kx_at_freenet.carleton.ca> ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Doug Harris) writes:
: >
: >
: >In a previous article, sanju_at_churchill.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM (Sanjeev.Agrawal) says:
: >
: >>
: >>I am trying to have Oracle7 database up.
: >>
: >>Scenario:
: >>
: >>H/W platform NCR system 3000 , UNIX SVR 4
: >>Oracle Db 7.0.12.1.1
: >>
: >>I am on a server which already has running oracle6 databases.
: >>Server process for oracle6 is orasrv using port 1525/tcp.
: >>
: >>Now ver 7 db works fine but how do I make it accessible remotely.
: >>
: >>My problem: As I understand I need to have separate "orasrv" process
: >>for ver 6 and 7 databases. Is that correct?
: >
: >Not really. Oracle7 is shipping with a new version of SQL*Net (2).
: >You need separate listeners for each of SQL*Net V1 and SQL*Net V2.
: >However Oracle7 can work with either or both versions (although you
: >need V2 if you want to use the multi-threaded server). Your Oracle7
: >distribution should include a copy of orasrv. You may use that one
: >version of orasrv with both your 6 & 7 databases, plus have the
: >SQL*Net V2 listener also accepting connections for the 7 database.
: >Users choose which version to use by way of their SQL*Net connect
: >string.
: >
: >>Any pointers will be appreciated.
: >
: > I suggest you use The SQL*Net V1 "orasrv" shipped with 7 for both
: >your 6 & 7 bases to start, and then you can bring up Net V2 at your
: >leisure. Actually, I don't think SQL*Net V2 was even production in 7.0.12:
: >another good reason to start with 1 and move your way up to 2 later.
: >
: I thought of same too. But it does not work. it gives the error 3113 i.e.
: end of file on communication channel.

If this is true then either V7 or V6 is not "working fine" (or your orasrv process is not running in the right manner (Did you set up the services file etc?). Can you connect to the V6 db via the pipe, fast and twotask driver from the server? from the client (what kind of?)? Can you connect to the V7 db via pipe driver on the server? Can you telnet, ping, ftp from the client to the server? Have you set both the ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME on the client correctly? I have here a test system running on Sparc SS1+ a V7 and a V6. I start up the orasrv (binaries from V7) port 1525/TCP and can connect from a mac via TCP/IP either to the V7 db or to the V6 db dependent on the ORACLE_SID I use in the connect string in SQL*Net (V1). I don't start a SQL*Net V2 listener on the server as only on the server is V2 (beta) so I can't use it. I hav set my local connect string on the mac to T:130.60.220.10:test so oracle connects by default to the server (T=TCIP/IP, 130.60.220.10=TCIP/IP address of the server machine, test=ORACLE_SID).
(If it matters, my V6 db is 6.0.32.x and V7 is 7.0.12.2 so that shouldn't be the problem).

Hope this helps
LM
: Thanks,
: Sanjeev
: >---
: > - Doug Harris
: > Database Administrator,
: > System Development Division,
: > Statistics Canada. ### Standard Disclaimer Applies ###
: >--

: --
: | Sanjeev Kumar Agrawal Phone: (803) 939-6835(W) / 791-9048 (H) |
: | Think there is a Better Way to Do It ! |

--
Leo Mannhart
Planning Office