Help: Outrageous spacing problem

From: Alex J Thomas <zlajt_at_marlin.jcu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 07:53:14 GMT

Hi Folks,

I have just begun using Oracle to store my biological data, and have this problem I sure hope one you can help me with.

The following commands generate output in which the records have this huge space between them.

set pagesize 40;
set linesize 70;
ttitle 'Botanical Species list';
set verify off;
set pause off;
set feedback off;
clear breaks;
column sitename format A8 heading Site;
column mspp__no format 999 heading No;
column msppname format A40 heading Taxa; column count(*) format 999 heading Records; break on b.mspp__no skip 1;
select a.sitename,b.mspp__no,b.msppname,count(*) from site____ a,morp_spp b,surv_act c,biol_obs d where a.site__no between 135 and 137

and c.site__no=a.site__no
and c.act___no=d.act___no
and d.mspp__no=b.mspp__no

group by a.sitename,b.mspp__no,b.msppname

What I want is:
Tue Feb  8                                                   page    1
                        Botanical Species list

Site       No Taxa                                     Records
-------- ---- ---------------------------------------- -------
AC103       5 Acacia rothii                                  4
AC103      11 Erythrophleum chlolostachys                    1
AC103      19 Eucalyptus tetradonta                          9
AC103      29 Parinari nonda                                 1
AC103      30 Planchonia careya                              1

However the output is:

Tue Feb  8                                                   page    1
                        Botanical Species list

Site       No Taxa                                     Records
-------- ---- ---------------------------------------- -------
AC103       5 Acacia rothii                                  4

AC103      11 Erythrophleum chlolostachys                    1

AC103      19 Eucalyptus tetradonta                          9

Tue Feb  8                                                   page    2
                        Botanical Species list

Site       No Taxa                                     Records

AC103      29 Parinari nonda                                 1

AC103      30 Planchonia careya                              1

Tue Feb  8                                                   page    3
                        Botanical Species list

Site       No Taxa                                     Records