Re: 10M Row Limit on Oracle Tables?

From: <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 2 Feb 94 14:29:23 +1000

In article <CKJuAF.9CJ_at_news.ssc.gov>, oracle_at_dbserv1.ssc.gov (Oracle Administration) writes:
> I've heard vague reference to a 10 million row "limit" on Oracle tables.
> Has anyone experienced this limit? And, if so, what were the implications?

I'm 99.9999999999999999% sure that the limit is much greater than 10M rows.

The manual says that a database is restricted to 1022 database files each made up of up to 16M Blocks and each block can be n*1024 bytes where n is an integer in the set (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc).

Of course, it does depend on the size of your rows but assuming you can fit one row per 1024 byte block then you are looking at 1022*16M rows.

There are a number of very large databases around with many 100's of Millions of rows. Perhaps they could post some max figures from a few of these sites to show you what's being done out there.

Anyone care to tell us how many rows in your biggest table?

Hope that helps clarify things.

--
Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

"If you swallow a live frog first thing in the morning ...
 Nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day."

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, Australia                             (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *