Re: Database connectivity

From: Nick Maximov <maxs_at_adnserv.kaija.spb.su>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 08:30:37 GMT

Hi Drea --

>> Anybody knows C programming language interface for database connectivety
>> in Unix environment?
>> Is there the ODBC software development kit is available for use with
>> C language in Unix environment? I have heard this one is available
>> for Windows. I would like to know whether similar SDK is available for Unix.
>
>I'm working on the same problem. Did you get any useful responses?

I'm working on the connectivity problem. I'd like to design system that will be available to connect to most datasources is available now. Note my system is based on Unix as *server* not as client. That server should give flexible interface to most datasources connected to it. The main problem is that vendors develops ODBC on Unix with targeting specific database. For example, Oracle offers its interface only with Oracle RDBMS installed on your machine. I have got description paper for they new features. In new version 8 of Oracle RDBMS that will get Object Oriented they promise to release ODBC connectivity, but, as I said, it needs Oracle RDBMS installed.
Futhermore, there is no definite standard to be ODBC driver linked in. One offers is hardlink to executable or shared library, and others is RPC developed by Sun.
As I understand it needs also to develop additional level of CLI that communicates with underlying ODBC driver. If you have realistic solutions please send me these. Maybe you
have alternative solutions.
I hope we keep this discussion up.

Nick Maximov

PC Centre "Techno" Representative