Re: Database connectivity

From: John Turnbull <turnbull_at_turnbull.wariat.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 23:50:03 GMT

In article <199401200830.AA13076_at_adnserv.kaija.spb.su> maxs_at_adnserv.kaija.spb.su (Nick Maximov) writes:

>I'm working on the connectivity problem. I'd like to design
>system that will be available to connect to most datasources is
>available now. Note my system is based on Unix as *server* not as
>client. That server should give flexible interface to most datasources
>connected to it. The main problem is that vendors develops ODBC
>on Unix with targeting specific database. For example, Oracle
>offers its interface only with Oracle RDBMS installed on your
>machine. I have got description paper for they new features.
>In new version 8 of Oracle RDBMS that will get Object Oriented
>they promise to release ODBC connectivity, but, as I said, it
>needs Oracle RDBMS installed.
>Futhermore, there is no definite standard to be ODBC driver
>linked in. One offers is hardlink to executable or shared library,
>and others is RPC developed by Sun.
>As I understand it needs also to develop additional level of CLI
>that communicates with underlying ODBC driver.
>If you have realistic solutions please send me these. Maybe you
>have alternative solutions.
>I hope we keep this discussion up.

What is definately needed is some form of communications protocol. I don't think there is an easy solution to some form of linking, but rather with some form of communication. Sun's RPC or something similar may be able to do the job. Have a communication standard to RDBMS systems would mean I could use any client with any server anywhere in the world with a minimum of headaches.

John Received on Fri Jan 21 1994 - 00:50:03 CET

Original text of this message