Re: Closing cursors in PL/SQL

From: Michael P. Stein <mstein_at_access3.digex.net>
Date: 17 Jan 1994 20:05:49 -0500

Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com> wrote:

>IAN -- It's good practice the close the cursor. It will be

> automatically closed by PL/SQL when it goes out of scope
> anyway, but don't count on that since some situations in PL/SQL
> 2.0 allow cursors to retain state across a session (e.g. if
> they are declared in a stored package) ....
Another situation in which PL/SQL 2.0 cursors remain open is when executed through an OCI cursor. We had no end of fun debugging the problem when after conversion to Oracle 7, some programs suddenly stopped
working properly the second time a PL/SQL block was executed via oexec().
--
Mike Stein			The above represents the Absolute Truth.
POB 10420			Therefore it cannot possibly be the official