Re: Oracle with Unisys A Series LINC DMS2?

From: Steven Eisenberg <eisenberg_at_lands.sa.gov.au>
Date: 18 Jan 94 12:00:30 +0930

In article <Jmk5Fc1w165w_at_vllyoak.resun.com>, jp_at_vllyoak.resun.com (Jeff Perry) writes:

> nchan_at_unixg.ubc.ca (Norman Chan) writes:
>

>> Like almost every other company out there we are downsizing
>> our computer systems off mainframes to PCs. One of our largest
>> databases resides on an Unisys A6 mainframe using a LINC/DMS2
>> DBMS. I heard that Oracle supports some type connectivity
>> with the aforementioned system. True or false? Pros and cons?
>> Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.
>
> True. It's called SQL*Net Connect for A Series.

About the pros and cons, you will need a range of products to support SQL and DMSII on an A-series. This will include ADDS and DMS.view, separatly price packages. If you do not already have these and most people don't, you'll need to add the cost these products. There is also a 700 structure limit (the total number of datasets, sets and subsets) imposed on ADDS. However this limit has been increased with the release of 4.02 version of the operating system for those who like to be on the leading edge.

Currently we are looking at remote databases using SUN workstations. This is being achieved by using the DMSII unload facility to produce flat files and can be loaded to any database you like. I have also written a program that will extract audit records to a flat file for remote updates. We are currently testing this software and it will require tailoring for a differant DBSII DBs. The main problem with the program I've written, is that I didn't get enough time to write a procedure to use the description file for record layout and this must be hard coded. Also our data is inconsistant with things like dates and NULL fields so some data translation also occurs.

If you are intrested in what we doing let me know and I can send you more information. Received on Tue Jan 18 1994 - 03:30:30 CET

Original text of this message