Re: Access Oracle thru telephone line? Possible?

From: George Tetterton <georget_at_pooh.aadt.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 19:09:55 GMT

We are using SQL*Net/TCPIP between a US site and a site in France. This is done by using a pair of NetBlazers, which are modems that connect directly to the net on both sides. When a packet for one side needs to get to the other that modem simply dials the other modem and makes the connection. We have been successfull in running Oracle CASE, Sqlplus, and SQLForms over this line. The only problem we have is it can be very slow going over the International phone lines. This may not be a problem if you are on a local "clean" phone system.

We have been very happy with the NetBlazer hardware, it was very easy to install and configure (however I did not install it personally).

If you have any questions please call (or mail) me and I can get you in touch with our network support people who setup the hardware.

Thanks,

George E. Tetterton
American Airlines Decision Technologies
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.