Onyx a CopyLefted 4GL/SQL/TM

From: Michael Kraehe <kraehe_at_bakunin.north.de>
Date: 10 Jan 94 16:03:42 GMT

        Hy Folks,

        "Onyx a CopyLefted SQL,4GL,TransactionManager for Linux"

	was posted in alt.sources on Xmas, so it should be ftpable
	from the main archive sites in the net.

	Features :

- The 4gl is a easy way to define the model, view
and controllers of a database application. Unlike other 4gl's it doesnt hide the system from the application, but is based on features of Yr Linux, mainly the posibility to pipe a subset of a relation to a pipe, or insert tuples from a pipe.
- The TransactionManager allows Y to connect Yr Linux
site to any database engine anywhere in the net. If the database is able to do SQL jobs it's fine if not the SQL-Statements are parsed by a OO parser, so it is posible access GAWK and Ingres89 by SQL. The protcol should become fixed as a RFC called SDTP (Simple Database Transaction Protocol) Other client languages (eg. Emacs, TCL, Perl, Smalltalk/X) are under development.
- Supported Engines are now SHQL, GAWK, Ingres89
under Linux, and Informix on other Servers. Other Engines (SQL/400, Postgres, Obst) are under development. If Y like to port SDTP to any other Engine Y are invited to do so, and I grand Y my support and help. Compilation problem's in some versions (2.1 - 2.24) : Unfortunately I dont have IP access, so I'm unable to upload Onyx to a ftpserver. So there are differnt version of Onyx available, some are in uploaded from friends who have FTP acces, some are in the alt.sources archive, and of course they have different problems. Onyx is still beta, and If Y like to do real work with this programs Y probately need to contact me by mail ! So it doesnt matter if Y ftp an older version. Take it just for looking what the program does, and contact me if Y have problems or want a actual version.
- Some people metioned that they are missing include
files. But this is not difficult to solve. Any .ppg file (the parser grammer) will be produce a .C, a .h and a .man file. And if a .C file exists GNU-make doesnt know that it should reparse the .ppg file for producing the .h and .man files. So just delete the .C file and restart make solves this problem.
- Some people mentioned that there are problems with
some GCC versions how arent able to work with two methods inside the same class with the same name but different parameters. I can check this because I've sold a bigger installation half a year ago, and arent able to upgrade my 99p9 to the actual one, because of the need of supporting my customer :-(
- If Y have a message like
include/tw_types.h: "extern class View" just delete this line.
- If Y have a message like
> frames.C: In method `void ViewCursor::event(int, int, int))': > frames.C:329: too few arguments for method `expose' > frames.C:336: too few arguments for method `expose' Y are fucked because a bug in GCC > 2.5.? expose is defined with and without arguments and compilation work fine with my gcc233. I 'll visit a friend who has a actual linux when I have time to do and build a workarount for this bug :-(
- I also have a old Sparc1 and Onyx is of course there.
So there should be no endian related problems when porting it to a non linux system, if that system is BSD and have GCC and GAWK. Unfortunately my Ingres89 version (from Zeyd M. Ben-Halim) core dumps on non Linux sites, so Y need a real SQL database if Y have a lot of (>500) tuples per releation, and dont like to wait so long. By Michael. -- ___________________ | Michael Kraehe |_________________________ | 27321 Finkenburg | kraehe_at_bakunin.north.de |__________________ | +49 4204 1497 | V32bis : +49 421 870532 | ceterum censeo / |__________________| Voice : +49 421 875500 | MSDOS / (___________________________| delendam esse \ (___________________\