STORED PROCEDURES AND SQL

From: Jared P. Hecker <hecker_at_panix.com>
Date: 10 Jan 1994 17:41:15 -0500

alanb_at_vneses. (7)
>Can SQL*Connect be invoked from a stored procedure? For example,
 alanb_at_vneses. (7)
>suppose you have a program that invokes a stored procedure in
 alanb_at_vneses. (7)
>an Oracle7 database. Can this stored procedure invoke a non-Oracle
 alanb_at_vneses. (7)
>database using SQL*Connect? Or must the program talk directly to
 alanb_at_vneses. (7)
>SQL*Connect? What exactly are the interfaces to SQL*Connect?

SQL*Connect's raison d'etre is to make a foreign database (such as DB/2) look like an Oracle database for query purposes.

Writing presents a different set of issues; it is do-able from a 3GL in a special manner; I am not sure if you can use PL/SQL (or SQL*Plus, for that matter) to write to a foreign database. The resaon for this is that Oracle uses a proprietary rowid mechanism.

Oracle has been promising relief from this constraint for about two years now. They may have fixed this; since I don't need the feature, I haven't tracked it.

One other way to do this is via a common third-party API, e.g., Tuxedo or EDA/SQL. In this instance, you don't need SQL*Connect, as everything is handled by the API.

hth -

jh

---
 þ MR/2 1.39x NR þ

--
Jared Hecker               |   OS/2 - the user-friendly Unix
hecker_at_panix.com           |