Please help on Oracle database system design.

From: chan ka hei <khchan_at_ie.cuhk.hk>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 1994 12:19:27 GMT

Hi!

   Our company want to build a database system using Oracle 7. Yet we don't know much about this product, could someone kindly give us some advices on this case:

   We plan to build our system using a client/server model. Having the database server (Oracle 7) running on a Unisys machine (with intel-based processors and using unix as OS), several terminals (i486 PCs) will get hook up with the server through telephone lines. Those terminals should should be able to sending SQL enquiries or records update requests to the server through some kinds of GUI (X or MS Windows).

  The database will house about 100000 records. Concurrency control are have to be transparent to the users.

  Would anybody tell us whether the overview above is feasible in terms of speed, cost-effectiveness and development time etc? (We have about 1 year to implement the system only). What Oracle Utilities are available for building a window-based front end and bridging requests to the server through telephone lines? If such bridge is difficult to be achieved, having both the server and terminals connected on a LAN an also be uder consideration (but with lower preferences). If this is so, what kind of utilities have to be used?

   What programming techniques and programming languages (besides SQL) get involved in building the system above?

   We have to finish our system design and software and hardware selection before Feb,94. We are in URGENT to have you professionals' advices.

   Thanks a lot in advance.

    Frank.

--
* Frank Chan. Information Engineering Department (alumnus)        *

* The Chinese University of HongKong *
* Email : khchan_at_eng.ie.cuhk.hk Phone: (852)640-0748 *