Migrating to Solaris

From: Graham J Bricknell <gjb_at_zoo.bt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 94 08:52:47 GMT

Having recently migrated to Oracle seven I will be changing our SUN host to Solaris; hopefully soon. I am unclear whether the Oracle binaries currently in use with SUNOS (4.1.2) will also work with Solaris. I have been informed that they might run but that in that case they will be running through some compatibility mode rather then Solaris itself. In the interests of reliability and performance I am thinking that the best approach would be to load a new set of Oracle binaries for Solaris. This way they will run in native mode.

Can anyone comment on the best approach to take. Am I on the wrong track. What have others done ?

All help appreciated.

G J Bricknell			Configuration Management
				BT Labs
Telephone +44 473 645388	B67 / Room G11
Fax       +44 473 640468	Martlesham Heath
e-mail:	gjb_at_zoo.bt.co.uk 	Ipswich IP5 7RE, UK