**** --> Getting away from coding. Using ODBC (Question) ****

From: NGUYEN NGUYEN <nnguyen_at_du.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 18:37:18 GMT

Hello,

I will be setting up a corporate-wide DB system. The system spreads out on many different machines, platforms and locations. The idea is to make the system as easy to use as possible by make the access to the tables on different machines transparent. And it will take mininal work for maintenance.

My thinking right now is using ODBC (Open DataBase Connectivity) products that allows GUI applications running at the front-end. These GUI applications allows end-user create ad-hoc reports (forms) and queries on the fly without much knowledge of SQL and OracleForm . ODBC running at the comm layer allows access to tables on different machine transparently. This will eliminate a lot of coding. Microsoft Access is being evaluated for the GUI front-end.

Does anybody have any opion(s) about this idea? Have anyone tried this before?

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Nguyen Nguyen
Quality Systems Manager.
ITP
Email: nguyen_nguyen_at_minitel.com

       nnguyen_at_diana.cair.du.edu Received on Thu Dec 23 1993 - 19:37:18 CET

Original text of this message