Re: ORACLE 7 and RAID

From: Bob Lunney <bob_at_bobsled.cen.encompass.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 16:55:51 GMT

In article <1993Dec14.102352.1_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au> writes:
> In article <2ed678$kqq_at_elna.ethz.ch>, MOSERT_at_EZINFO.VMSMAIL.ETHZ.CH
 (MOSER,TIM) writes:

> We are running Oracle on VAX/VMS with striping and shadowing and haven't
> encountered any problems. Oracle uses the high level reads/writes to
> access it's data files. So long as the RAID implementation is
 transparent
> to these operations you should have no problems with Oracle in VMS. You
> might have problems with RAW disk access in the UNIX environment but I
 don't
> know.
>
> Sybase may be using it's own raw disk access routines for speed and this
> might be where it's getting trapped. Seems unlikely that a RAID disk
> would cause this problem though. A RAID disk should simply appear as a
> more reliable/faster device to the O/S.

Encompass is currently running Sybase 4.8 on VAX/VMS with striping and shadowing. We have also not encountered any problems, even when we lost a disk. The database kept right on chugging away while VMS reported the error. Once the disk was replaced the stripe set and shadow sets were reformulated, Sybase was restarted, and we lost *no* data whatsoever.

On VMS, at least, Sybase uses the native file system just fine. It does not have the same potential problems use of the Unix file system does, since VMS will allow writes through the cache to disk.

--
Bob Lunney
Encompass