Re: ORACLE 7 and RAID

From: <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 14 Dec 93 10:23:52 +1000

In article <2ed678$kqq_at_elna.ethz.ch>, MOSERT_at_EZINFO.VMSMAIL.ETHZ.CH (MOSER,TIM) writes:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would be glad to hear from some people using a ORACLE on a raid
> (1 or 5). I don't know if it is a good idea to install the database
> devices on a raid 5 system. I heard on the Sybase news that Sybase
> will kill (mark suspect) a database located on a raid 5 if one drive
> fails. Don't ask me why. I would like to know if we could have the same
> problem using a Orcale on a raid 5 ???

We are running Oracle on VAX/VMS with striping and shadowing and haven't encountered any problems. Oracle uses the high level reads/writes to access it's data files. So long as the RAID implementation is transparent to these operations you should have no problems with Oracle in VMS. You might have problems with RAW disk access in the UNIX environment but I don't know.

Sybase may be using it's own raw disk access routines for speed and this might be where it's getting trapped. Seems unlikely that a RAID disk would cause this problem though. A RAID disk should simply appear as a more reliable/faster device to the O/S.

> By the way, we are thinking about a new RDBMS. What should we take?
> Oracle 7 or Sybase 10 ?

Try Oracle 7.1, I don't know much about Sybase.

> Thanks in advance
>

> Tim

Your welcome.

--
Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

"If you swallow a live frog first thing in the morning ...
 Nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day."

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of                                      *
*          Health, Housing, Local Government & Community Services *
* Canberra, Australia                             (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *