Re: PL/SQL as an alternative to C?

From: Stephen Hill <shill3_at_pms995.pms.ford.com>
Date: 9 Dec 1993 16:37:02 GMT

We were using a big PL/SQL block to do a 16 table join and then simulate an outer join by looping through the cursor. This was quite simple but the PL/SQL block took 5 minutes: 40 seconds for the initial join and then 4+ minutes for the simulated multiple outer join. There might have been a better way to write the PL/SQL block but we ended up performing the outerjoin in memory (C++/OCI calls). The 16 table join is still done but the simulated outer join is performed in less than 30 seconds, total time less than a minute.

Note that we had to write our own order-by and selection logic. Received on Thu Dec 09 1993 - 17:37:02 CET

Original text of this message