Re: ORACLE 7.0.15.4/Solaris 2.3 Installation Problems (Answer)

From: Joanne Corcodilos ext 6818 D2.459 <corcodilos_at_r2d2.bms.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 00:05:00 GMT

In article <6DEC199322062687_at_spanky.bms.com>, corcodilos_at_spanky.bms.com (Joanne Corcodilos ext 6818 D2.459) writes...
>I am currently TRYING to install ORACLE 7.0.15.4 on a Sparc 1000 running
>Solaris 2.3.
>
>Upon invoking ORAINST, I have chosen "Install/Upgrade/Patch Software Only"
>
>Products selected for installing:
>
>RDBMS
>Procedural Option
>Distributied Option
>SQL*NET TCP/IP V1
>Forms
>Menu
>Oracle Installer
>
>The installation goes along error free ! My problem arises when I try to
>invoke SQLDBA to create my database from scratch.
>
>% sqldba lmode=y
>
>SQL*DBA: Release 7.0.15.4.0 - Production on Mon Dec 6 21:55:37 1993
>
>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992. All rights reserved.
>
>DBA-00314: unable to attach to default host
>ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve database name
>
>SQLDBA>
>
>It appears that SQLDBA is trying to use SQLNET ! I verified that TWO_TASK
>was not defined.
>
>I have been on the phone with Oracle Support for the last two hours and all
>recommendations have failed.
>
>Any ideas on this one ?? I need to get this database up and running ASAP !
>
>Please e-mail your suggestions to CORCODILOS_at_BMS.COM.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Joanne Corcodilos
>Database Administrator
>Bristol-Myers Squibb
>Princeton, NJ

My thanks to all those who responded via e-mail. Steve Essery, Oracle U.K, provided a work-around that alleviated the problem. Many others who replied, encountered similar problems under Solaris and Sun-Os using 7.0.15. and shared in my misery.

I'm just wondering why Oracle U.S didn't find this in their Bug Database. I sure hope that Oracle U.S and Oracle U.K are sharing data !

Here's Steve's fix... (Thanks Steve, you saved the day !)

Try setting TWO_TASK to P:

You may then see ORA-2725 errors, in which case set use_ism=false in the init<sid>.ora file and try to startup again. You may need to clear up any shared memory segments lying around. This is Bug 188030.

Across all Unix ports I've seen of 7.0.15, the default device driver is no longer the pipe driver, its using unix ipc sockets instead. You don't need Netv2 running for this to work.

Hope the above helps.

Steve Essery Unix Support, Oracle UK Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya,
                                          you killed my father, prepare to die.

Tel: +44 (0)344 860066 ext 4572           What you don't know is that I too
Tel: +44 (0)344 860222                    am left-handed!

Joanne Corcodilos
Database Admistrator
Bristol-Myers Squibb
Princeton, NJ Received on Thu Dec 09 1993 - 01:05:00 CET

Original text of this message