Re: ORACLE7 SQL*LOADER Error Msg. Capture

From: Seth Grimes <grimes_at_access.digex.net>
Date: 8 Dec 1993 23:23:32 -0500

swaldon_at_mail.vt.edu (Sally Waldon) writes:

>We recently purchased and installed ORACLE7 on a SUN (Unix) workstation.
>We are now in the process of designing our first application, and I wonder if
>someone has experience with the SQL*LOADER utility. The majority of the data
>entry will be from flat files, so I've been researching the SQL*LOADER
>features . I see where error messages are written to the log file when a
>record is discarded. Our data will come from multiple sources, and we will
>need to capture (and probably customize) these messages. We will also want to
>link the message to the record that was discarded and relay this information
>back to the user. Is there any way to capture the messages in the discard
>file or write the discarded record and associated error message to another
>file?

You can, in theory, write error messages to a specified file by using an ERRORFILE line in your control (.ctl) file. (This is from memory -- I'm at home -- and I may have the word "ERRORFILE" slightly wrong.) I wrote "in theory" because I haven't tried it myself. What I did try was specifying something in the .ctl OPTIONS to have error messages discarded, and it didn't work. Anyone know what could have gone wrong -- I guess what I really mean, is there a bug in SQL*Loader? I'll ask the sales engineer sooner or later.

                        Seth Received on Thu Dec 09 1993 - 05:23:32 CET

Original text of this message