Re: ODBC with Oracle and Informix on the same server.

From: Jim Burks <jburks_at_promus.com>
Date: 8 Dec 1993 22:00:39 GMT

In article <2dmv1l$fem_at_galileo.polito.it> badella_at_polec1.polito.it (enrico badella (L.R.)) writes:

>I have a server with both Oracle 6.x and Informix SE and I would like to
>access data from Visual C++ and Visual Basic applications ... cost of installing
 SQL-Net on all would be outrageous

If you've experience with socket programming, you could write a client-server application.

Write a server that listens on a TCP/IP socket for connections, processes messages, does the database access and returns the results over the connection.

The client PC's would then only have to have TCP/IP on them (which I assume they have anyway since Informix's I-NET and SQL*NET from Oracle require them).

This is more work, but most economical in dollars/pounds/lira, as well as in PC memory.

We have had trouble trying to fit TCP/IP, INET and ODBC in the same machine and have any room left for an application.

---
Jim Burks	jburks_at_promus.com
Database Administrator