Re: Recover with missing file in ts

From: Brian Wolkowski 263-2600 <wolkowsb_at_hp.cuug.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 17:14:42 GMT

> The problem is that we have an Oracle backup of all files
> except for one datafile in the table (NOT INDEX) TABLESPACE.
> ie. an alter tablespace add datafile4 was done and subsequent
> updates followed.

> We have had to restore from the backup, which excluded datafile4.

> We managed to have Oracle recognise this new datafile by recreating
> the control file.

> However, how can we bring the database in sync/recover from this
> situation?

> Thanx in advance for any suggestions!
> mayet_at_cc.und.ac.za

Running ORACLE 6.0.33.??? I had a similar problem with an data file. Loosing the data itself was not an issue since we had a good export of the data. Our problem also was getting the database in sync.

After some investigation i came up with the following.

  You may drop tables from a tablespace which is offline AND the   associated data files do not exist.

  You may drop a tablespace which is offline (including contents if   required) if the associated data files do not exist.

In my case i just took the tablespace offline, dropped the tablespace, recreated the tablespace (including datafile) and imported the table data back in.

Does any of this help ??

--
Later...                         e-mail: wolkowsb_at_cuugnet.cuug.ab.ca
Brian R. Wolkowski                voice: (1 403) 242-7886 (home)