Backup/Recovery

From: Mark Gurry <mag_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 23:14:58 GMT

I believe Oracle's backup/recovery offerings would be improved by offering a command such as ANALYZE DATABASE which provides a check on any corrupted segments and runs significantly faster than exports.

This could be run nightly even against even the largest databases.

It would also be nice if single tables could be recovered from image backup/archive log recovery... with the database kept running while the recovery is being performed.

Perhaps rollback tablespaces and temporary segment tablespaces should be flagged as such, with recovery possible if they are lost, without having to apply archive logs in any way.

I suppose even if you did lose the rollback tablespace, you could shut the database down and re-start the database without the rollback segments inside the tablespace, and then re-build new rollbacks into another tablespace.

These are my personal opinions and NOT those of my employer.

Mark Received on Thu Dec 02 1993 - 00:14:58 CET

Original text of this message