>Is Oracle a pig-The worst i ever see?

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: 1 Dec 1993 14:10:35 -0600

ORACLE A PIG Well ... Hmmmm .
I guess the question addresses a fundamental issue .

Is the Relational Model the best model from the view point of computation or I/O or Memory Usage ?

The answer is a big NO .
when Dr.Codd proposed the Relational Model in 1970 , he never stated that this model would be efficient in terms of the above . But the issue was of software Engineering . How easy is it to develop an application ? How flexible and easy is it to modify in an inherently dynamic environment ? I would say this is the issue .

Customers are willing to pay more money if one is able to get more information out of the same data in a shorter span of time . This issue gets more important in todays competitive world . The computing world is in a better shape today because of the relational model .
God Bless Dr.Codd .

Mahesh  Vallampati,(HOME)          | Mahesh Vallampati(Office)     |
301 Ball St., # 1086,	           | 642,TAMU Headquarters Bldg.,  |
College Station, Tx - 77840 .      |College Station,Tx 77840       |
Ph  : ( 409 ) 268 1489 .           |Ph :(409 ) 862 4375            |
/*I PROMISE TO USE THE KEY ,THE | /* THY SHALL WHOLE KEY AND NOTHING BUT THE KEY | INHERIT AND SO HELP ME CODD */ | DISTRIBUTE */ Received on Wed Dec 01 1993 - 21:10:35 CET

Original text of this message