Re: Gupta vs. Powerbuilder or VB

From: Eric Keen <e_keen_at_access.digex.net>
Date: 30 Nov 1993 09:22:40 -0500

Having worked extensively with Gupta SqlWindows and PowerBuilder in Oracle client/server configurations, I would choose Gupta over PowerBuilder
(from a technical perspective). Powerbuilder had some serious shortcomings
in the development environment:
1) lack of an edit/undo on form/object tools. I can't tell you the number

   if times I've accidently deleted or moved an object and was SOL. 2) Inconsistent accelerator keys and access methods throughout the IDE,

   it's just plain weird sometimes!
3) It's not easy to open multiple connections, and multiple databases

   are impossible.
4) The product applies system modals everytime you hit the databases -

   does anyone know a way around this? I've seen PB apps hang Windows    for 30 minutes just to validate (or present) a 300 table list! 5) Watcom-32 is hog compared to Gupta single-user (watch your resource

   monitors as you fire-up afew instances). Don't get me wrong here, PB is in a different class than Gupta when it comes to some of the database design and integration tools; but all this has a price. Gupta doesn't ask you to store custom database objects
(it's own mini catalog) - PB says put this stuff in the SYSTEM tablespace!
As a technical person - I'd take Gupta over PB, it has a C-like structure that I'm familiar with and behaves like C. I'm not a Gates/BASIC convert, especially when it comes to OPP.

Eric J. Keen            Though leaves are many, the root is one;
1707 Park Ave           Through all the lying days of my youth
Baltimore, MD 21217     I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
e_keen_at_digex.net USA Now I may wither into the truth. "W.B. Yeats"