Re: Hot Backups

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_Freenet.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 15:21:19 GMT

In a previous article, mag_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Mark Gurry) asks:

>Hot Backups do not allow point in time recovery according to articles
>I have read. Is this true?

   No.

>If this is true, and one of my users mistakenly drops a key table at
>2 pm and it is now 6 pm, is there any other form of recovery.

Hot backups are backups of the Database, and allow point in time recovery at the Entire Database level. What you are looking for is the logical recovery of individual database objects. This functionality is provided by Import/Export.

>It appears to me that Exports are an absolute necessity with Hot
>Backups, and should be run nightly.

   Yes, particularly in a development environment where programmers are always accidentally dropping and deleting things. I run a full database export nightly, and an incremental export during lunch.

--
   - Doug Harris
     Database Administrator,