Re: Hot Backups

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 11:04:18 GMT

In article 13814_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au, mag_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Mark Gurry) writes:
-->Hot Backups do not allow point in time recovery according to articles
-->I have read. Is this true?
-->
No. Hot Backups are the only way to perform PIT recovery.

-->It appears to me that Exports are an absolute necessity with Hot
-->Backups, and should be run nightly.

No. You can use HB as the nightly backup with a full export to tape once a month or so as an extra backstop. Exports aren't really needed when using HB.

-->
-->Any opinions?

You should read chapter 15 of the DBA guide.

---
David Crowson   =%^)   |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
Oracle DBA(Ver.4,5,6,7)| I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
Amoco Exploration      | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
Ealing, London         | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
"My views not Amoex's" | with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson