VMS: srv.exe timings / sqlcex(...)

From: Phil Mills <millsp_at_govonca.gov.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 22:06:22 GMT

In order to troubleshoot a client server application using Oracle 6.xxx, I've created a set of programs to post a transaction via DECnet and SQL*NET. These programs run on a schedule and save timing information to log files. My problem comes in trying to get timing at the server. I like to know if there is a way to get SRV.EXE to report or record how long it took to execute a request.

I'm currently timing around the execution of the SRV image, which means I include image activation and rundown, as well as database connections and disconnections. I need a purer, transaction-based number.

Alternatively, could I create an image that replaces SRV.EXE, in the sense of collecting the SQL*NET requests and passing them on to the local database (that way, being able to insert my own timing code). I note that PROC generates a sqlcex() call for my imbedded SQL statements. Is there documentation that would tell me what that function actually does? Is there documentation about the internals of the SQL*NET protocol?

And what the heck is DECNET_NSP: anyway? :-) Received on Thu Nov 18 1993 - 23:06:22 CET

Original text of this message