Simple Viewer for File?

From: Greg Noel <greg_at_guru.qualcomm.com>
Date: 17 Nov 1993 18:33:41 GMT

I am looking for a file viewer that will allow an unsophisticated user to move easily through a file and examine its contents. It should treat the file as a virtual image with unlimited line width, so it must be able to scroll left and right as well as up and down (that is, it mustn't wrap the lines when it displays them, but allow the user to move left and right within the limits of the text).

For those familiar with Oracle tools, it should be like CDIMORE, but without the bugs that limit the line width to 132 characters. That is, a command set of down, up, right, left, top, bottom, search, and quit is sufficient (and more than that is not really needed); editors with the command set limited to view-only options need not apply (the user can accidentally hit some other command and become confused---we can't have that, can we?).

Moreover, the commands should be displayed on the screen---in other words, the intended user is not expected to use the program often and is _not_ expected to remember the command set.

I'd prefer that it use curses, so that it will run on many different types of terminals. I'd also prefer that it be available in source form. It should also have a small executable and be blindingly fast. (I don't ask for much, do I?)

Note that followups have been set to comp.databases.oracle; any discussion should take place there.

Tks,
--

  • Greg Noel, Unix Guru greg_at_qualcomm.com or greg_at_noel.cts.com