Undo ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE

From: Rob Ryan <rryan_at_panix.com>
Date: 17 Nov 1993 15:11:42 -0500

On Oracle7 on a Sun, we've just added a datafile to a tablespace with the ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE command. We discovered that we put the file on the wrong file system and want to move it. But it doesn't appear to be that easy. I assume that I could detach that tablespace, move the datafile to where it belongs, and then define a symbolic link, but that's a little cumbersome.

Clearly, we could also EXPort the data, drop the tablespace, recreate it as we wanted it to be, and then IMPort the data back in, but again, that's cumbersome.

So, are we overlooking some obvious alternative? I could see that a ALTER TABLESPACE DELETE DATAFILE command might be difficult for Oracle to implement if there's data on it already, but this is a case where we are practically guaranteed that the datafile hasn't yet been used. So *surely* there's some easy way to undo a mistyped ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE command.

  • Rob