large database maintenance

From: Petter Henrik Hansen <petter_at_fdmetd.uucp>
Date: 16 Nov 93 15:39:45 GMT

Database	:Oracle 6.0.36
Size		:4 Gb
Uptime		: 24 hours

Just a couple of questions:

When using online backup and archive:

  1. How are the data accessed when the tablespace are in "begin backup" mode.
  2. After "end backup" for a tablespace, the data in the redo log are applied to the tablespace. Will this cost me much CPU?
  3. When restoring an online backup of the database, is this going to take extremely much time. (In short what is exactly happening:)
  4. What is the best disc configuration to do this? (Striping each big table and index, lots of disks etc.)

Anybody out there that may give me any present and working solutions on a +4Gb database that must be up 24 hours?

What exactly is written to the redo log? We seem to have 200 Kb written to the redo log for each transaction, and this seems a bit much.

Is there any way to look at the contents of the redo log?

Is it better to split a table of +-30 000 000 rows in smaller tables or just stripe it on disk?

Petter Henrik Hansen, Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY

Phone : +47 2 22 52 84 02                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10
E-mail P.H.Hansen_at_fdsw.no
<The opinions expressed, if any, do not represent Fellesdata a.s> Received on Tue Nov 16 1993 - 16:39:45 CET

Original text of this message