Re: SQLNET authorization question

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_elcky>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 22:49:45 GMT

In article <2962198356.1.p00775_at_psilink.com> "David Trahan" <p00775_at_psilink.com> writes:
> I'm familiar with using SQLNET between two VAXen over DECNET.
>When you use a tool on node MYVAX and connect to an instance on
>YOURVAX, a server process get's kicked off on my behalf on YOURVAX
>through which I communicate all SQL commands. The server process runs
>as "my" username since MYVAX and YOURVAX share an authorization database.
>
> How does this work if I'm connecting from a PC which obviously
>doesn't have the concept of a username?

One answer is to define the workstation user name by adding an entry to c:\oracle6\config.ora (or) c:\windows\oracle.ini like this:

        SQLNET_USERNAME=my_user_name
the TCP/IP interchange between MYVAX and YOURPC by SQLNET will include a message identifying the workstation, which then becomes the proxy login account on MYVAX.

You can also modify the ora_sqlnet:config.ora file on MYVAX to establish a default username to be used by the TCP oracle server like this:

        SQLNET USERNAMEMAP *=default_user_name

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc